The high and rising cost of housing has made it hard for many residents to maintain the life they envision here in Ward 2. Our long-standing residents must be able to remain in their homes and new neighbors shouldn’t be deterred from joining our community by unaffordable housing.
Additionally, Ward 2 has the highest rate of homelessness in the District. Homelessness impacts our youth, our seniors, and people of all ages. Black, brown, and LGBTQ members of our community are particularly likely to experience homelessness. This issue needs to be addressed with compassion and evidence-based solutions.
As your Councilmember, I will:
- Review and address property taxes that are creating barriers to affordability.
- Support investments in the Housing Production Trust Fund, the Preservation Trust Fund, and public housing, so that affordable housing is built and maintained in Ward 2 and District-wide.
- Help individuals and families pay rent by supporting the Local Rent Supplement Program and the Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
- Fight for investments in LGBTQ senior and affordable housing.
- Work to expand evidence-based, permanent solutions to homelessness including permanent supportive housing.
More Issue Areas
Browse the issues below and learn more about those principles.